Monday, November 25, 2013

Day 8

Today I was grateful for:

1. The kid liking her new swim instructor
2. A leisurely family drive into the Angeles Crest and finding some snow to play with
3. The kid spending some time at the grandparents'
4. Yummy garlic dinner at the Stinking Rose, even though I'm still burping garlic :P
5. Snuggling with husband to watch "An Adventure in Space and Time"

Something learned:

This morning, as I watched a very tearful toddler being handed off to her swim instructor, and seeing her stare miserably at her mom over his shoulder the entire time, I realized that my kid has had almost no separation issues. I remember bringing her into daycare one day, crying from an injury, and some parent remarked that she had never seen my kid cry before.

Perhaps, the promise of attachment parenting is true; I heap affection on the kid, and make sure that she never has caused to doubt my unconditional love for her. Maybe the result is that she has no fear that mom won't be back for her, no matter what. That she is secure enough to be appropriately independent. Or maybe it's just a fluke of her personality.

In any case, I think the work that goes into showing my love for her (protecting, providing, teaching, listening, etc) is well worth it if she never has cause to doubt that she is loved, and worthy of love.

A dream:

I would like to see the Aurora Borealis someday.



No comments:

Post a Comment