Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Day 9

Today I was grateful for:

1. The first parent-teacher conference of the year not yielding any unexpected surprises.
2. Being fortunate enough to be a person giving help to, instead of receiving help from, Stop Hunger Now. (There was a meal packing event at work today)
3. The kid's art project listing things she was thankful for, included "her family"
4. Extreme-couponing to save about 60% on an order.
5. Going to bed with a mostly empty to-do list.



Something learned:

When I was younger, I believed that relationships took work -- nasty, dirty work, where it was perfectly normal to have to work through issues in painful, messy arguments, accompanied by angst and sacrifice. The truth of it was, that when I finally got together with my husband, there was a feeling of coming home. Where you faced things together as a unit, not as a test to see whether you were compatible. Where disagreement isn't accompanied by worries of whether it meant you could never work things out.

I remember a friend, saying many years ago, that love was choosing to be committed. It's not a mystical force between two people, nor is it a flutter of the heart, and it's not finding that perfect person that fits your discriminating standards. It's finding a person with whom you're committed to building a life together.

Years ago, everyone I knew seemed to have relationship drama. These days, perhaps we've mostly grown up, but I encounter the drama a lot less. I guess age is just what it takes.

A hope: 

I spent the evening cleaning my desk. Again. It's quite a fervent hope that I will one day conquer my clutter problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment