Saturday, November 30, 2013

Day 13

Today I was grateful for:

1. A fun day at Chill -- ice sculptures and ice tubing!
2. Making a chocolate "gingerbread" house with the kid, and we had to melt our own chocolate :P
3. The brilliant idea of home made "magic shell" with the leftover melted chocolate. Over chocolate ice cream, naturally
4. Husband waking up from his nap and cleaning up our mess (after I whined about how hard it was to melt chocolate)
5. Seeing the kid's jaw drop when her parents suddenly broke out chanting in unison "Pajammy to the left, Pajammy to the right, Jamma, jamma, jamma, P! J!" (after I announced that it was Pajama Time)

Something learned:

One of the most life-altering questions I was ever asked was "What do you think?"

Prior to that, most of the questions I had encountered were of the kind that had a right or wrong answer, and getting the correct answer would always result in rewards of some kind -- a good grade, praise, etc. When someone cared enough to ask for my opinion, and listen seriously to my answer, the unfamiliarity of exercising my own opinion was shocking to me. It's almost shameful now, looking back, to realize how many years I'd lived before trying to figure out what I really thoughtMaybe it was an artifact of my science/technology focused education, or even the school system that I was in.

At any rate, I learned that my opinion matters, and that it is okay, important even, for me to have one, even if it differs from everyone else's, because it makes me who I am.

A dream:

To take a sabbatical and spend a few months in Italy. Just because.

Walking in a winter wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment