Sunday, May 4, 2014

Day 141

Something learned:

To improve you need to be able to critique your own work. To learn to critique your own work, you should practice giving feedback on others' work. This is what I found so valuable about writing workshops - learning to give constructive criticism. Learning to find the flaws in a work and figuring out how it could be done better. Applying that skill to your own work makes you a better craftsman., no matter the craft.

Something I would like to get better at:

Not being afraid to indulge my curiosity.

At the Memorial Day activities, I saw many white people in period dress and military uniforms. But there was one African American man in rags and chains and I was deeply curious about why he was participating in the reenactment. I was afraid to ask him though, either of offending him or starting an interaction that gets out of control.

I walked away but now I think I may have missed out on an opportunity to hear an interesting viewpoint on the whole affair, because of my fear.

Perhaps I'll remember this incident next time and choose differently.

Today I was thankful for

1. Getting to try southern BBQ
2. Seeing the unique sight of the Confederate Memorial Day activities.
3. Trying the South Carolina state snack of boiled peanuts
4. Driving a convertible with the top down
5. Yummy ribs from the hotel restaurant no less

Looking forward to:

Seeing my cousin

No comments:

Post a Comment