Sunday, June 15, 2014

Day 160

Something learned:

I didn't grow up with pets. My parents hated animals, so I never got that dog I wanted. Well, I did have a couple of rabbits, but they were outdoor rabbits, so I never really bonded with them. I remember my best friend's dog dying many years ago, and I was completely mystified as to why. I probably said something insensitive like "you can always get another one."

Thankfully, I understand it a lot better now. I saw in later years how my adult brother got a dog and my mother would watch TV with it. After becoming a parent, I marveled at how a strong emotion could be built seemingly out of nowhere. When a friend lost her cat a few days ago, I was able to explain it to my child in a way that she understood, and also was able to sympathize with the pain of losing an animal.

I don't think being a pet owner is an exact equivalent to parenting, but it's clear to me that the loss of a pet is a deep, authentic pain, and that was a big lesson to me.

Something I'd like to get better at:

Gardening. I've always dreamed of growing fruits and vegetables, but I seem to keep killing the ones I have....

Today I was thankful for:

1. Introducing some family to hot pot and having them love it
2. A kid artist at the chalk festival taking on my kid as an apprentice for a few minutes. She was hooked!
3. A phone call from an aunt who offered some help with something I'd complained about on Facebook
4.Kid having fun with her grandparents' neighbor's kid
5. Great day spent with family

Looking forward to:

My new moringa tree growing nice and strong. I tried hard this time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment