Friday, April 18, 2014

Day 133

Something learned:

Fairness is not everyone getting the same thing, it's everyone getting what they need.

I think this concept is illustrated quite well here.. http://www.portlandoregon.gov/oehr/article/449547?


I sometimes hear people who belong to the majority of a group question why there are special things for the minorities. E.g. at college, someone actually asked why all the foreign students had societies, e.g. the Singaporean Students Society, but the American students could not. Or why there needs to be so much attention focused on generating female interest in math or science, or the game industry.

I am sure this explanation will come in handy at some point when my kid screams "that's not fair!" but then again... sometimes the right response to that will be that "Life isn't fair." But that's a lesson for another day!

Edit to add: Looks like I've posted on this before. Well, this picture helps my understanding of it so I've learned more!

Something I'd like to get better at:

Sleeping. I can't seem to get myself to bed at a reasonable time. Ironically, I am late posting this because I was tired and went to bed "early" and I hadn't posted yet. But outside of that I wish I could figure out a consistent going to bed schedule. I wake up naturally often enough, but too often I have to exhaust myself before falling asleep.

Today I was thankful for:

1. Lots of chocolate and plastic eggs from the easter egg hunt at work (my co-hunter does not like chocolate)
2. Meeting a previously FB-only friend in person, and managing to salvage the visit despite some initial disappointment
3. Despite being delayed by massive traffic, we were still the first ones arriving for TKD class.
4. Yummy home-made cheese fondue with the family (despite the kid disagreeing)
5. Husband putting away the dishes and fixing me chocolate ice cream

Looking forward to:

Getting through my audition callback on Friday. I don't want to do it, but that's precisely the reason I'm making myself do it. Builds character to be able to do your best even when you don't want to, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment