Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Day 135

Something learned:

Eat properly.

It sometimes saddens me how much more effort it takes for me to eat now than say, twenty years ago. But then again, in a typical day back then, I would have chocolate eclairs for breakfast, McDonald's for lunch, and sweet drinks right before bed. So hopefully I am actually doing a better job now.

It kind of blows my mind how complicated choosing food can be. Read labels. Buy organic. Shop ethically. Avoid fast food. Environmentally friendly choices. Michael Pollan's Food Rules had a big impact on me. So have exposés of industrial farming and the FDA.

I wonder if doctors quizzing me on my medical history wonder if I'm lying -- no caffeine, no alcohol, no tobacco. I figure I'd like to be as healthy for as long as I can. Why does it have to be so hard? Sigh.

Something I'd like to get better at:

Making my loved ones feel loved. It's too easy to let the business of living distract me. I think I used to be better at this when I was younger. Perhaps I just thought more of others back then, and less about all my responsibilities, which also admittedly numbered fewer back then.

Today I was thankful for:

1. That I hadn't yet turned the kid's Sea Shepherd 4T shirt into a quilt square so that she could wear it to school for Earth Day.
2. Getting a 60% speed up with some tweaking I did on one page of the project. Optimization isn't my strong suit.
3. Having a bowl of instant noodles to satisfy MSG cravings, even if my stomach wasn't happy later. Won't be repeating that soon...
4. Kid having a good day at school, behavior-wise.
5. MJ inviting us to camp at Idyllwild even though we couldn't make it. It's nice to be invited.

Looking forward to:

Puzzle hunt this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment