Friday, December 6, 2013

Day 20

Something learned:

Stand for something or stand for nothing at all.

I think the first time I took a stand for my principles was after college back in Singapore, at a friend's wedding. They served sharks' fin soup, which is expected of any decent wedding. Without going too much into it, I oppose shark finning, so I set aside the bowl of soup and left it.

Growing up, I was never taught to, not did I see examples of people, holding non-mainstream views. I don't know if it was just my family, or if it was society, but I grew up shying away from holding strong views.

I learned to come into my own in college, living away from home. It was empowering, to make choices over what I thought was right and wrong, and not just what parents or governments told me to think. I thought it important to be my own person. I thought important to stand for ideals -- to do what's right for the world, for my family, for my health, for ethics. I'm proud to hold my views, and grateful for the freedom to do so.


Today I was thankful for:

1. Passing the MOOC songwriting course I took
2. My singing teacher telling me that I've been making good progress
3. The kid getting her first taste of programming (one can hope)
4. Getting chocolate in the mail
5. Spending the evening watching Before Sunrise and Before Sunset with hubby

A dream:

Traveling the world with hubby after the kid grows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment