Thursday, December 19, 2013

Day 33

Something learned:

I remember wanting to participate in community service days at school, and being forbidden to by my parents. "Charity begins at home" was the comeback I would get but to this day I still don't know what they actually expected of me. Instead, I developed a strange sense of unease whenever it came to community work.

Now that I'm grown, I've volunteered with my kid at a beach cleanup, and packing meals for charity. She's loved it. I loved it. I can be true to myself, and still give in a way that I feel comfortable. I think we are enriched by the experience, and I'm finally able to cast aside the echos in my head of "Charity begins at home".

Today I was thankful for:

1. Being able to attend my kid's school performance, something I've always regretted not having.
2. Proud of my kid getting through her stage fright
3. People seemed to enjoy our chorus performance today
4. Some gals at work adopting kiddo into their gingerbread house building team while I was singing
5. Working with my kid at the One Voice volunteer packing event and she enjoyed it

A hope:

I get real time off the week after next (took vacation, kid's at camp). I hope I feel downright decadent!


No comments:

Post a Comment