Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Day 31

Something learned:

Over the past year and a half, I have determined that the kid's learning situation is very similar to my own when I was her age. However, unlike my parents, who basically left it up to the school system to handle it, I have taken a much more proactive approach in educating myself on typical characteristics and symptoms, various approaches and potential outcomes. It's at times overwhelming and frightening, but I have found strong communities online with many other parents in similar circumstances, and feel like I've learned a lot by listening to their stories. I learned that with the information that is available nowadays, I can be an expert and advocate. 

I wonder though, what sort of difference it makes. Would she be intellectually and emotionally stronger and healthier than me? Would she be better poised to take advantage of her opportunities? Would she accomplish more in life? Would she successfully navigate through all of society's pitfalls, prejudices and obstacles? Or maybe she will turn out pretty on par with me, but all this might be what I need to do for that to happen, because I can't just rely on sheer luck that her path will end up as smooth as mine was. I'm not really willing to take that chance.


Today I was grateful for:

1. Learning that where I live doesn't have the worst air quality and that our family's choice to go electric makes a difference
2. Getting Christmas gifts wrapped
3. Working at a place where the employees are willing to be anonymously generous. The lounge is completely filled with gifts for charity. Brought a tear to my eye, it did.
4. Kiddo finishing the remaining of her handmade gift
5. Figuring out the remaining gifts that I need to buy for family

A hope:

I want to learn to live with less stuff. I know it bugs my husband that I own so much, but I struggle with figuring out what I don't need to own. I'll keep trying though.


No comments:

Post a Comment