Thursday, December 12, 2013

Day 26

Something learned:

To achieve your dreams:
Step 1: figure out what your passions and dreams are
Step 2: figure out the next step in the direction of your dreams
Step 3: do the work to take that step
Step 4: repeat forever

Sounds simple. Sounds obvious. They're terribly hard. And obviously, if your dream is to win the lottery, these steps won't help. But I had the good fortune of finding out early my passion is programming and having access to resources and eventually getting on a path that ended up at MIT. I kept the goal of my passions in sight most of the time. I didn't know what I was doing, and my well-meaning parents tried hard to steer me towards medicine and law, but I never wavered, even when I didn't know where I was heading (I hadn't heard of software engineering in the 80s), I kept moving. The secret is to keep thinking (step 1 and 2) and to keep doing (step 3). And when it comes down to it, you're the only one who can do it for you.

Today I was grateful for:

1. Receiving my Laser Maze prize for being in the top 15 for the US Sudoku Qualifying Test
2. Receiving another thank you card in the mail, reaffirming my faith in common courtesy.
3. That my kid can play quietly in her room for a long time with Lego. 
4. Oyster sauce that will make my kid happily eat any vegetable
5. Husband came home with flowers and chocolate after I emailed him about something that made me unhappy.

A hope:

I would like to see John Barrowman in a Christmas Pantomime performance someday. http://www.pantomime.com/glasgow.php


No comments:

Post a Comment