Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Day 44

Something learned:

I listened to this radio show on NPR (http://www.npr.org/2013/12/20/255744345/can-autism-be-an-asset) and teared up at some things that this lady said. It feels so much like she understands me. I don't think I'm on the autistic spectrum, but I do remember my parents being concerned enough to bring me to the doctor when I was little to find out "why I don't talk much". I told the doctor (as honestly as I could) that I'm afraid to say things when I could be wrong.

But 2 things in particular stood out for me. Firstly, I need specificity. Without specificity in my tasks, I tend to flounder without even knowing why. In recent years, I've coped better by creating my own specificity, but sometimes when I don't realize that's what I'm lacking, it's a struggle. It's also why I excel at fixing bugs or solving puzzles, because there's a very specific goal.

Secondly, I also don't think in words. That makes it difficult to make impromptu speeches, debate, argue, answer questions, explain concepts.. practically all forms of communications. I have to stop and translate the mental concepts I have in my head into words to express myself, and it slows me down, sometimes trips me up altogether.

Just a couple of things I've learned about myself that I don't seem to have in common with others, but that Temple Grandin seems to understand.

Today I was thankful for:

1. A short email exchange with a distant relative, in which I learned that my grandfather was a good artist
2. My friend Sharon coming back to work
3. Sharon giving me a pressed-penny album page for the kid
4. Singing
5. Having time to finally finish that library book

A hope:

I hope I get to celebrate Chinese New Year with folks who love the holiday as much as I do. I miss that.

No comments:

Post a Comment