Saturday, January 11, 2014

Day 46

Something learned:

I think some of life's broken commitments may be caused by not being honest with oneself. My desk often has a lot of stuff on it. Mostly because those things had no place to be except in that transitory place of "on the desk to be taken care of". During my big purge earlier this month, I faced up to the fact of the nature of the stuff on the desk and gave them all homes. I have baskets for incoming things that I don't want to deal with every day -- kid's art, paperwork to file, and receipts. A envelope for the kid's stuff. A space for stuff that I need to bring to other rooms. Now there's someplace for it all to go and my desk is unbelievably (to me) clear.

To accomplish that took strangely enough, my admission that these are the things I want to keep, so I need to find places for them. I suppose it's another way of phrasing "A Place for Everything and Everything in its Place", but pithy sayings, while true, often are hard to understand and make relevant in one's personal context.

So here's to a desk without clutter and broken commitments.

Today I was thankful for:

1. Having saved my old Livejournal posts offline when I found that the archives now only go back 4 years or so.
2. Violins being light. It cost less than $8 to trade in Audrey's.
3. My employer generally operating on the principle that employees make reasonable choices. It makes me feel respected.
4. The kid enjoying her introduction to the WiiFit
5. Dinner at Benihana with the family

Something I'm looking forward to:

I joined a facebook group that challenges me to purge stuff. Looking forward to seeing how much I can get rid of.

No comments:

Post a Comment