Friday, January 17, 2014

Day 52

Something learned:

My kid sometimes thinks she knows better than me. I don't always correct her because the issues are sometimes complex and would take too darned long to explain. But it makes me question a little those times I thought I knew better than my parents.

Last night the kid and I were singing to a karaoke track, and I made some mistakes. She mused out loud, "I wonder how I'm a better singer than you, Mommy?" I could tell that she truly believed it, and considered letting it pass... but I started imagining how much worse she would be in 10 years. So I pointed out that there were a lot of different aspects to singing skill, and remembering the song was just one aspect, which she was good at. Perhaps she'll be a little less judgmental and a little more humble. But I mostly live in fear of the other young people that are going to be around her, if they would teach her bad behavior, or just plain damage her. Sigh.

Today I was thankful for:

1. That the kid cut the hair off her toy horse and not her head
2. Getting 5 uniform pieces for under $30 instead of the $200 it would have cost
3. Got to watch Alexa von Tobel speak in person at work and get a copy of her book
4. Fixing the box we painted for the kid while I was pregnant with Uhu glue. It blows Krazy glue out of the water -- it doesn't dry up in the tube, dries quicker after applied, and is just as strong!
5. More purging! Got rid of another 4 inches of paper.

Looking forward to:

After hubby finishes his game in the spring, we'll be heading to Disneyland!

No comments:

Post a Comment