Friday, February 28, 2014

Day 95

Something learned:

As a kid, I didn't practice piano very much. I was reasonably good at computers and chess, and took part in math competitions because it was something my brain worked well in. I did things I was good at, and dropped what I wasn't. As a result, I never actually worked hard at something I wasn't good at. I never practiced at something just to attain a passably decent skill level.

Now I push myself to struggle and practice (e.g. in singing), because I'm trying to teach my child the value of practice. I keep her playing her violin and taekwondo even though she knows she isn't good, because she has been told that practice will get her to improve. She is not relying on natural talent, and I believe that this will make her resilient. More resilient than me at least.

Just tonight I confessed to my husband that I didn't think I could draw very well, and he pointed out that it's not something I practice. I know he's right. It's not just about innate skill, and hopefully my child will learn this lesson better than me.

Today I was thankful for:

1. A nice quiet day at home
2. When I asked the game store clerk about Titanfall, he asking me whether I worked on the game. Equality!
3. Got a new Zumba game to work out with at home.
4. Wrote and drew a bunch today
5. Cleared and rearranged 3 cubbies of our shelving unit

Looking forward to:

Bringing the kid to the orchestra tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment