Sunday, March 9, 2014

Day 104

Something learned:

Don't be afraid to ask what something is.

When I was in the fourth grade, my teacher put up a sign on the wall that said "It's better to remain silent and let people think you're a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt." Well, as the years passed, I took that advice to heart and chose the path of silent ignorance. I still struggle with this today. I'll find myself in a meeting where an in-progress project would come up in the discussion, and I'd feel like the only room who didn't know what it was. I'd keep quiet and try to figure it out from context, not always successfully. In recent months however, I've started seeing more senior teammates who are willing to interrupt and ask "what is XYZ? I'm not familiar with that." and other people willingly bring them up to speed.

There's much to be learned by admitting when you don't know something.

Today I was thankful for:

1. Getting to spend some talking with other parents at a party
2. Passing by a Crate & Barrel and getting to buy the containers I've been wanting
3. Seeing tons of cool critters in the tidepools
4. Figuring out to distract the kiddo from her exhaustion while hiking uphill by teaching her about cannonballs and heatstroke
5. Awesome hot pot dinner at Little Lamb

Looking forward to:

When I have a garden, I want to grow fruit and vegetables. Maybe have a little arbor or pergola for relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment