Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 107

Something learned:

I was confused when I first encountered the sentiment that "nobody likes a tattle tale". I had never heard such a thing growing up in Singapore. It took a long time before I figured out the subtleties of what tattling on someone meant.

It's all in the intention. Tattling is when you tell on someone to get them in trouble. It's not tattling when you tell on them to keep someone safe.

If two kids were disagreeing about something, and one of them whines to an adult, the grownups prefer to let them figure it out on their own. If one kid was bullying another, however, teachers or parents need to intervene. Sadly though, the difference seems to be lost on kids and they often end up staying silent about things they witnessed.

Bullying can have a devastating effect on a child. I certainly hope my kid will understand the difference when the situation arises.

Today I was thankful for:

1. An interesting parents discussion group session about manners and etiquette at the kid's school
2. My singing teacher telling me that I was doing a good job with the German song I've been learning
3. The Math Day shirt I made for kid to wear going over well
4. Kid going through the evening routine without fuss or complaint
5. Husband taking care of dishes

Looking forward to:

Making my favorite black pepper crab this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment