Monday, March 31, 2014

Day 124

Something learned:

The right thing to do, would be to choose to do the right thing, even when not made to.

Where I grew up, every home has a fence around it. Not just a pretty picket fence, but a tall chain link fence, or a iron spike fence, or a tall brick wall with broken glass embedded in the top. Where I now live, no such fences exist, but people stay off other people's property, and they do not take what is not theirs. Back home, if it wasn't nailed down or locked up, it was fair game. Here, one just doesn't take what isn't theirs.

I had a long debate about this before I was finally convinced that people here just know to not take what was not theirs. Just one in a long example of my long education in learning to be the best version of myself.

Something I would like to get better at:

Getting rid of stuff. I hoard things. I work hard at getting rid of things, but it is still a struggle to keep things at the level of normal folks. Thrift is something that's been deeply ingrained into me, and it's hard to let go of things that could still be useful. I'm reluctant to throw away things that are still usable, albeit not of use to me. I think I've had problems with this since I was a teenager.

I'm getting better, though my husband doubts it. I just hope I can continue to improve.

Today  I was thankful for:

1. Playing Uno for the first time in decades, with the husband and kid.
2. Learning about gibbons at the conversation center
3. Picking lots of yummy fruits and vegetables at Underwood Farms
4. A relaxing evening at home catching up on TV and laundry
5. Getting a table at Furaibo when Flores turned out to be full on a Sunday at 5:30pm!

Looking forward to:

Visiting Disneyland this spring with the current discounts for local folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment