Sunday, March 23, 2014

Day 117

Something learned:

"Smart" is not a very useful descriptor. When I did got good grades as a kid, I was always called "smart". I knew though, that my grades depended much more on how well I had processed the material, or how much preparation I had done, and so much less on innate ability. I eventually stopped caring if people thought I was "smart".

Similarly, I don't care when people call my kid "smart". I know her success will be much more determined by her grit, preparedness, and a healthy dose of luck.

Something I'd like to get better at:

I wish empathy came more naturally to me. When I hear someone telling a story, my first reaction too often is "me too!" But I wish I was more naturally able to just listen and empathize.

Today I was thankful for:

1. Husband taking the kid to swim class so I could wake up slowly at home
2. Husband taking the kid to the aquarium for Diver's Day so I could play a Real Escape game
3. Coming SUPER close to escaping in the Haunted Ship game I played yesterday.
4. Great dinner with relatives
5. Early bedtime. I was tired!

Looking forward to:

Tombstone Hold'em tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment