Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Day 98

Something learned:

I started my first gratitude project on a whim more than a decade ago. My very first stated goal in life was to "be happy" and I decided that I wanted to do something tangible towards achieving that goal.

Doing gratitude on and off over the years, I've found that it achieves a number of things. First, the exercise of looking for items to list forces me to reflect on the good things that had happened that day. Secondly, I have never had a day where it was completely impossible to come up with 5 items that I was thankful for, telling me that I am indeed managing to maintain a happy life.

I've found that focusing on the positive instead of the negative allows me to let go of the bad stuff, to accept that they happened but not allow them permanent residence in my narrative.

Today I was thankful for:

1. Getting back the kid's forgotten violin
2. The BH library having a book drop that I could reach from my window so I didn't have to get out of the car
3. Fixing the monday morning code bug quickly despite working on little sleep.
4. Hubby reading the kid her bedtime story so I could rest
5. Having this gratitude project to keep me focused on the positive

Looking forward to:

Upcoming Room Escape game this month!

3 comments:

  1. Which night are you playing Escape Game? My team is playing on Fri the 21st. I nearly drove to Long Beach on Fri Feb 21st due to lapsed attention to my calendar. I'm grateful for not making a needless drive to the Queen Mary in rush hour traffic on a night with no puzzle hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm playing Saturday afternoon. The husband will take the kid to the aquarium while I play.

      Delete
    2. Are you doing either Dash or MouseAdventures in April? They're the same weekend and I'm disinclined to do both, but I can't decide which I prefer.

      Delete