Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 113

Something learned:

There's no such thing as a free lunch. My dad was always skeptical of offers that sounded too good to be true. I used to think that he was just being ornery.

When I was a teenager and approached by a "free modelling school", I jumped at the chance. In hindsight, they were just trying to sell me expensive professional makeup. I bought $600 of makeup, learned how to apply it, and had an hour's worth of tips on how to pose. I wasn't selected to be represented, but I doubt if anyone actually did. On the up side, I still use the makeup methods that they taught me, because they really do sculpt my face into something model-like. It served me well through 30-40 ballroom competitions and a number of glamorous parties. So I don't feel like I was cheated overall, even though my father probably did.

Well, these days, I make sure to look for the catch. Sometimes I still take the bait, but it's always with the knowledge that I'm aware of, and ok with buying, whatever they're selling me.

Something I'd like to get better at:

Resilience.

I feel like crap whenever I make a mistake or fail to live up to expectations. I get uncertain of myself and pull back from doing things. My imposter syndrome starts screaming at me. I start doubting all the self esteem I have felt, and anything positive that I've said.

Maybe I just need to convince myself that it's ok to not be perfect.

Today I was thankful for:

1. Husband promising me that if he snores, all I have to do is wake him up.
2. Getting to attend an informative talk by Betsy Brown Braun and getting a free copy of her new book
3. Finding some great kid-friendly pitchers so she can pour herself drinks!
4. Husband doing the dishes
5. Going to bed early.

Looking forward to:

I want to make fondue. I own a fondue pot that I've not used in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment